Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is a holiday that can strike fear into even the most determined dieter.  It is a day filled with aromatic dishes that tempt and tease.  Turkey sitting on a platter, ham beside it, with a bowl of potatoes slathered in butter and sour cream, green bean casserole steaming, warm rolls, and pies calling your name from the kitchen.  It is a dizzying blend of aromas and temptations. 

Once the meal has been prepared, you sit with friends and family talking and having fun not noticing how much food you put on your plate or in your mouth.  You eat and talk, talk and eat, until you discover that your stomach is too full and you feel sick. 

Sick and guilty.

The above situation is why you wear stretchy pants or pants with no waistband.  They don't put as much pressure on your over-full stomach.  You feel like a slug.

Does it have to be this way?

NO

Today, I watched my plate very carefully.  I was the only one to put food on my plate and if someone else did, I was firm in saying how I wanted.  I only allowed a small spoonful of each item that I wanted and a half of a piece of bread. 

I was not overfull and could enjoy each bite.  I felt proud of myself instead of guilty for stuffing myself.  I am not having that turkey day remorse that I had become accustomed to.  Instead, I am sitting on the couch enjoying being with my family and am in no way tempted by the leftovers lurking in my refrigerator.  I see my goal in view and I can feel my attitude changing. 

This is for me.  This is for my health.  This is for my kids.  This is for my husband.  This is for my God.  I am the temple and I need to start treating it as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please talk to me! Encourage me and hold my feet to the fire. But be as sweet as sugar while you do it!!